Freshman orientation. Students are introduced to the program during a brief orientation session in early April and they are given a student handbook entitled “English Classes at Aoyama,” which includes the following:
1. An overview of the curriculum
2. An explanation of the types of courses
3. An explanation of how students can switch levels in the IEP
4. An explanation of the overall objectives of the program
5. General descriptions for each IE course
6. An explanation of the policies for students, including attendance policy, grading, and discipline.
However, students may miss the orientation and hardly delve into the student handbook before their classes begin. So, reviewing all of these points during the first few classes is advisable.