In order to communicate with your classmates and teacher, learn about assignments, access course-related materials (PDFs, etc.), respond to polls, and take quizzes, you will join a LMS called Edmodo. This is a class requirement and you won’t be able to keep up with, or pass, the class if you don’t join. It is a private group and your personal information will not be misused. Your classmates will see only your first name and the first letter of your last name when you post to the group.
You must provide an email address (NOT a mobile phone email address) when you register to use the system. It must be an email account that you check, at least, a few times a week because important course-related messages will sometimes be sent to you.
Instructions for registering:
- Go to https://www.edmodo.com/
- Click on “I am a Student or Parent.”
- Type in the following “group code”: htxztg
- Type in your REAL first name and last name. [This is very important because a part of your grade will be based on your participation on Edmodo. If you don’t type in your real name I won’t know who you are and your grade will be adversely affected.]
- Type in an email address (NOT one for a mobile phone) that you access frequently. If you don’t do this it is likely that you’ll miss important course-related communications and your grade might suffer as a result.
- Type in a unique user name. If could be, for example, your first name and year of birth, or the name of your pet.
- Type in a password and be sure to write it down so you won’t forget it. Write down your username as well, since you will also need that when logging in.
- After you finish this registration process, you’ll be able to login and begin using the system. The first thing you should do is fill out your learner profile and you may upload a photo of yourself if you wish.
- Your first assignment will be to write about your experience(s) with a particularly satisfying intercultural encounter and another intercultural experience that was uncomfortable or unpleasant. Your message must be a minimum of 150 words. That message should have been posted by Saturday, April 12th. Then, by Monday, April 14th, you must reply to, at least, three of your classmates’ messages, giving your impressions and reactions to their experiences. The other assignment is to read parts of a chapter in the book “Culture and Intercultural Communication” and answering a question about it in the “Small Groups” area named “Advice to Dympna Ugwu-Oju (1st reading).”
- Before posting your assignments on Edmodo, read the instructions carefully. Post them to the correct place. Improperly posted assignments will be deleted.
Note that there are free iOS (for iPhones and iPads) and Android apps for using Edmodo. I highly recommend that you install them on your devices. That way I can take class polls and ask for your views on various topics and we’ll be able to see the results right away.